Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Mach-S, the speed at which stress can't keep up, is simply forward motion.

Mach-S, the speed at which stress can't keep up, is simply forward motion. But it has to be self- propelled. Note that people in cars are still stressed.
Jef Mallett, Frazz, 08-26-05

Frazz is the name and main character of my favorite comic strip. Google Frazz if you're curious.

I'm in the concrete cave today. Just as well....the parking lot is about to burst into flames.

I also seem to have acquired a sinus condition. My face hurts. Got an interesting little pseudoephedrine buzz going on but at least I can breathe through both nostrils.

So, I dropped my phone, AGAIN, and it finally broke. Well, it worked but my screen went blank. Good news is since it's not cracked they'll replace it under warranty. Bad news is I think I lost all my phone numbers and the photos I had saved. And I can't take a quick picture of my bike upgrades. But I'll fill you in.

Going into a bike shop is always a little intimidating to me. Especially this time since while cleaning my chain I managed to completely mess up my deraileur and couldn't shift out of my middle ring, and if I tried, I got this horrible grinding noise and my chain would leap off the ring. Leaving me clipped to my pedals and spinning wildly. I also had to carry my computer in, in a ziploc bag because I was missing a part and I couldn't put it back together. I was a trainwreck. Hard to look cool wearing chain grease from knees to ankles and my computer duct taped to my handlebars.
Since I was done dealing with the 12 year old punks at the closest bike shop to my house, I ventured to a sponsor of the STL tri club (15% discount) after making an appointment with Stu. Stu knows EVERYBODY and apparantly Friday nite is social night at the bike store. I was told he's the guru who can fit a road bike with a pair of aerobars and make it more like a tri, or TT (time-trial) bike. I call him ADHD Stu because he's this little person who didn't stop moving or talking the entire nearly 2 1/2 hours I was there. Unless he stood back and told me to pedal. At which point he'd usually screw-up his eyebrows and say things like...."does your neck hurt? You probably have tendonitis in both your elbows." That would explain the tingling in my forearms.
I was encouraged though because the whole time he bounced around me all Tigger-like he said how much I'm going to like being fit correctly. What got my attention was that he kept taking things OFF my bike and REPLACING things that he took from various parts of the store. I'm pretty sure when he saw me walk into the store that I saw his eyes turn into little green dollar signs. I'm not an idiot but i was pretty much at the mercy of his experience. But damn if he didn't set me up straight. And he patiently answered all my questions. After my first and only ride so far it's money well spent. And like Paula said....I do look like "the shit" and then some. :)But now I have to walk the walk.

Enough about my silly hobby. I'm watching this whole frozen embryo/stem cell research bill that W decided to veto. Which he announced surrounded by HEALTHY children that came from frozen embryos. What about the sick babies who could be helped by research done on embryos that would otherwise likely be discarded as medical waste? I can only hope that he's privy to information the general public doesn't have. I hope it's true that they are indeed figuring out a way to extract stem cells before the embryo actually becomes an embryo. Any thoughts?

I'm looking forward to some rain....a nice summer storm to be exact.

2 Comments:

Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

I can't stand the man - for so many reasons. This is just another goof to pile on. He's out of touch with reality.

When the majority of his own party disagrees - as do the majority of Americans, that should tell him something.

Why do people in a position of power have the right to push back progress? He can't see the longterm picture. It's very sad.

On a Missouri note, I have a question for you. When we drove the highway that runs from Kansas City to St. Louis, we would occasionally see small brush fires in the ditches, just off the side of the road. We saw several of them. Yet no one seemed to care. Is this normal?

8:27 AM  
Blogger mimikatemom said...

I don't follow politics as closely as I should but this certainly got my attention. We'll see.

That stretch of I70 is a miserable old piece of road. I think the fires are just little grass fires likely caused by someone's disgusting cigarette butt. MOst of the grass here goes dormant in the summer and turns brown and dry. I guess they just burn themselves out.

Thanks Nikki for the comment -glad you like it!

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home