Tuesday, July 11, 2006

If you're never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.

So, it's hard for me to admit that I don't know "stuff". But I also know that "fake it til ya make it" will only get me so far. I don't understand how to buy a car. I've never had to jump start a car. I don't understand my mortgage. I don't know how to clean the chain on my bike. All of it relevant, all of it leaving me feeling vulnerable and child-like and embarrassed. I have always let someone come to my rescue. I'm going to be 35 years old next month! I can do most of the testing needed to diagnose a brain tumor but I have no idea if I'm getting hosed when I'm looking for a car. Frustrating. Ridiculous. Humorous? Sometimes, if it wasn't so pathetic.

I saw The Break-Up with V.Vaughn and J.Aniston. Interesting flick....good ending. Not what I was expecting. I got to hang with the silly girls (not the silicone-d ones) in my neighborhood for the monthly "drunko" (bunko=dice game) night. Sangria and chocolate martinis and Poison (the band-don't ask)....I'm sure several ladies were hating parenting small children Sat. morning.. As usual, I was the first to leave (after midnight btw) so I was fully expecting to get TP'd but I was spared. Cleanup was needed by the girl who bailed at the last minute. Lunch Sat.. with Terri who indulged my request for a ride in her cute little Miata convertible. One of the smartest people I know, she had me belly laughing with stories about her boss who is right out of The Devil Wears Prada. Too funny and thank goodness, by some divine intervention, she flagged me down last year, in her even cuter yellow mini cooper. Swam with my girls, played with my girls and finally signed them up for their kids tri on Aug. 19th. Good weekend.

Log:Thursday:swim day....delayed because Pukemeister Kate kept me up Wed nite) pm 3.5mile tempo run. Fri pm 2500m swim sprint workout on dri erase board at the pool. I have no idea what group it was for. Sunday, 27mile ride followed by 15 min. run.. Mon. pm 4miles w/hill repeats..

I must confess I fell off the wagon yesterday as predicted. Monday night is my favorite flats ride where I can just hammer for awhile. It hasn't rained here in weeks but of course as i'm leaving work it starts to pour. Yes I can ride in the rain but out on country roads it decreases visibility to nothing and without a shoulder it invites death by automobile. Drat! So, I go home and eat three oreos (ok 8 oreos) and a big glass of milk. 45 minutes later the rain stops. Dammit! Feeling guilty I decide now is as good a time as any to start hill repeats. Apparantly if I want to stop walking up hills while running and riding I need to train better on hills and that means hill repeats. Imagine that. Lucky for me about a mile down the road is an overpass thorough a relatively quiet neighborhood that is about 1/4 of a mile and takes me like 3 minutes to climb up and run back down. Not so lucky for me is the effect of a tummy full of oreos and milk on a hot and humid afternoon. Not recommended. But since I basically refuse to vomit I survived and even lost 2 lbs. Sweat rate....see prior post.

WI + humidity = uncomfortable. MO + humidity = sauna. This is the effect I experienced yesterday. Turn on your shower as hot as it will go until you can see steam clouds in the bath room. Exercise until your heart rate is about 160 bpm. Swallow often to keep cookies down. continue for 40 minutes. You're me!!! In Missouri!!!

Anyone wanna come visit? :)

4 Comments:

Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

It's easy to jump start a car. You just call my father-in-law. He'll walk you through the steps. Don't call me. I'm clueless. I know nothing about cars or tools. Tim Allen would be disgusted.

As for buying a car? Clueless. Does anyone know? If it looks good and runs good, it's good for me. Then I pray that I'm not being ripped off. Because I sure as hell don't know.

But I can make my daughters laugh. And I can plan a vacation. I'm a good writer too. Plus I have a decent singing voice.

We all have our things.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I can add to your list of things I am clueless about....growing things, plants, flowers, veggies....I pretty much can't keep anything alive besides my kids! Following directions whether it be how to get somewhere or in a recipe. Love to do it, but I like to follow my own lead and that doesn't always work! Finances, stocks, bonds, IRAs, 401Ks.....no clue, no clue, no clue.....I know there are lots more, but it's probably better to focus on the good things....

I can make my kids happy by simply baking cookies with them (following a recipe or not....), I can run pretty darn good, and sometimes I can make people laugh!

Erin, here are a few I thought of for you: You always make your girls feel happy and cared for, your friends feel loved, inspired, and motivated, you know the right thing to say at just the right time, and you are the one of the most determined and committed people I know! And, you can swim!! I couldn't go 10 feet without sinking or choking!

Paula, these all apply to you too, except maybe the swimming part, not sure!! However you swim, it is better than me! And, you are always good for a pick me up! Aahhhh Poison, "Every Rose Has It's Thorn", funny how that song can mean so many things! When you are feeling down, remember Brenda's advice, and take up smoking, look how cool she looked! If nothing else, it's good for a laugh!!

Erin, I'm assuming St. Louis in November is cooler than in July!!! Oh, and I think I might be done with Oreo's forever!

10:38 AM  
Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Ah... so there were some people who listened to those voicemail messages of mine. You should have hit me back with one!

Perhaps it's time for another list of some sort.

Missouri's a cool state. I've been there twice - once passing through, and once for a full week. We even went to one of those "drive-thru" zoos where you stay in your car, and can feed animals through your window. Next time we're in the area, I'll look you up. Keep the Oreo's. For they are the king of the cookie family. And I dig 'em!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Erin, if you are referring to my taste in friends, then you are absolutely correct!!

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home