Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city. -george burns

Whew. I am not used to being around this many people. Runner girls? You know how hard it is to get the 5 or 6 of us going in the same direction, and make a decision and still keep everyone relatively happy? Multiply that times 5....and that's my world. There have been no casualities but the week is only half over.

Kate's favorite new phrase is "take a dump". She was able to use this in context alot yesterday on our horseback riding excursion. Horseback riding lessons are totally on Kate's wish list so that was what she picked to do. She loved it. I couldn't help but think that a horse is just another mammal that won't listen to me.

Today was the big whitewater rafting trip. Arkansas River in Brown Canyon. Class 1-3 rapids. This was supposed to be the "wimpy" trip because kids under 14 could go. 51 degrees at 8am. Excellent scenery over the continental divide as we drove the 90 minutes to the canyon. About 20 minutes of instruction on the van about what to expect. Some things I learned while on the river:
Morgan, Dan and I are members of the Arkansas river swim team.
Morgan continues to amaze me with her ability to push past her fears. she rocks!
You don't want "summer teeth". If your boatmates don't hold the "t" on the end of their paddle you could find yourself either receiving or delivering "summer teeth". Where some of your teeth are over there....some are in your mouth..etc.
I look FABULOUS in a blue plastic helmet.
Wear cheap sunglasses.
Back paddle is a fast move vs a slow paddle.
If you try to stand up in the middle of a river the guide will yell at you.
A trout is probably wearing my sunglasses.
Our raft performed a perfect "dump truck". this is better than a flip because with a dump truck the raft only dumps out some of the people in the boat...including our guide. The smug guides call this "swimming". (Water temp about 62 degrees)
We dumptrucked on "Hemmoroid Rocks". Probably called this because if you hit the largest one and your child (Me, Morgan, Dan and our buff guide Brandon) get tossed in the rapids you come very close to crapping your pants.
But all is well. Morgan is fine. I have a dinged up knee. And I have a good story to tell. And I spent the day on the water in the fresh air which is really my absolute favorite thing to do.

I'm sure there will be pictures of me in my sexy blue helmet.

Tomorrow is Glenwood Springs and a visit with my aunt and a dip in the Hot Springs.

2 Comments:

Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

I am a strong believer that everyone should ALWAYS wear cheap sunglasses - just like ZZ Top sang about. Besides, quite often, they look cooler.

I've never rafted. Although I've always wanted to. I would love the rush!

8:43 AM  
Blogger karmadog said...

You used the word "dump" a record number of times in that post. Congratudumpilations!

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home