Friday, October 05, 2007

Still Takes My Breath Away



Took this picture from my bike last night. It's October, but the weather is more like June. And just like I experienced at the end of the season last year, this is the ride that will carry me through those dark, cold winter months.

As a pedaled last night I thought about the long overdue update I've got started. But I was also thinking about how so many of my friends have been diagnosed with cancer this year. Maybe it's my age. Bodies start to show signs of wear and tear. And mostly I'm okay with that, because at this age all the wrinkles and weirdness that has been going on with my skin and bones is somewhat amusing and I've earned it. When I am old, I want to have used up my body and have some great stories to go along with it. So I can tell my audiologist all about it when she's got a waiting room full of patients to see before she can go to lunch. But I digress.

But I'm not okay with the fact that with every one of my friends and acquaintences who get the shocking diagnosis, there will be suffering. Hopefully it's fleeting. It's hard not to know what to do. But I read one plus two: brother can you spare a dime and realized it doesn't really matter what I do when someone is hurting, as long as I respond.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger JJ said...

It's hard to watch friends suffer. I would always prefer to take it on myself and go through it instead, especially when there is so little you can do to ease their pain.

Every time I read something you write, I 1)tear up, 2)realize how much I admire you, and 3)want a beer.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

oh wow. thank you.

really.

12:06 AM  
Blogger frydog said...

This is why we all love you.

Oh and age is just a state of mind, pain is fleeting, and a loving memory can last a lifetime.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home