Thursday, November 30, 2006

My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary. - Martin Luther


Kate's first words upon looking out the window this morning, "Oh, no it di'int snow!". Silly. In reality, it mostly iced, but the top layer is white so it looks like snow. The hillbillies played out in the freezing rain last night and it's been so long since they've seen snow they didn't know the difference! Ice on the trees is actually very pretty and every once in awhile the sun pokes out and everything glitters. Trying to forget about the fact that I managed to get the mighty minivan stuck in my sitter's neighborhood this morning.

So, music. My trusty mp3 player has gradually been getting less trusty so I traded it in for a no-frills ipod shuffle. Will hold about 250 songs...and I have about 15 right now. Oops I can't access my itunes from here so my list will have to wait. I would really love some suggestions. I tend not to pay attention to the names of songs or the artist (I would so totally fail Greg's class...but I'd get my 10% for attending Greg!) so I can't do any kind of effective search and end up trying to decide if I like a song by listening to a 30 second blurb. When I get my list up y'all (or you's guys for you northerners ;) ) can try and guess what I might like. I'm in a little bit of an angry phase right now so I'm leaning towards a strong beat with alot (a lot) of noise and the occasional m.f. thrown in is probably okay too.

Also on the subject of music...one of my all time favorite musicians, who happens to be a friend, began teaching a college level jazz history class. Something I know nothing about. But I stumbled upon the website he put up for his students and I have to say it looks like his class ROCKS! I imagine teaching can very often be a thankless job but you never know when you might reach a kid and unlock something. My hat goes off to all the teachers who continue to try with the best of intentions. What you do matters and when you feel passionately about something it can be contagious. Keep on keepin' on!

****Excuse me...one of the girls just said lunch was free in the cafeteria. I need to go get a half-order of something warm. ***** (Free cheeseburger?...oh hell yes!)


Anyway, now that my belly's full, I hope everyone has a great weekend!
I think I'd like it here.

5 Comments:

Blogger karmadog said...

Greg's favorite angry music:

System of a Down
Indigo Girls (new CD has lots of potty-talk! "Shaming of the Sun" is also angry)
Public Enemy
Patti Griffin's "Flaming Red"
Linkin Park

And Erin, I Love You!! Thanks for admiring my website. The class is almost as cool as the website.

Yesterday was fun, though, because we spent half the class watching part 10 of the PBS/Ken Burns "Jazz" documentary, while I made fun of it. At one point, I paused the DVD and walked up to the big projector screen to slap Wynton Marsalis in the face -- something I've wanted to do for years.

I REALLY wish you were in that class. And I'm REALLY glad Burt isn't.

11:37 PM  
Blogger karmadog said...

"trying to get procedures in before the end of the year while deductibles are met"

Oh, that would be me! I'm trying to get a sleep study done before January. I'm sure I won't be able to. Right now it's set for Jan 16.

I called yesterday and left a message asking them to call me if anyone cancels. I bet that really pisses them off. Sorry!

12:09 AM  
Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

I'm an alumni Greg. Plus my dad is a current professor there. I could take your class any semester I wanted to.

I'll bring you an apple. I'm sure you won't assault me like Mr. Kern did - even if I did poke a fellow student with my pen.

8:55 AM  
Blogger karmadog said...

All Patti Griffin's stuff iz da bom.

Patti Larkin is also good. Get "Red=Luck" or "Stranger's World."

6:22 PM  
Blogger mimikatemom said...

Thanks for all the suggestions! I defnitely like Patty Griffin. I should have clarified that I listen to music when I run and bike so the tempo has to be a little on the quick side. I've added some Disturbed and am looking into some more along that vein for workouts. I do plan on downloading some of the other you all mentioned; I'd forgotten about Alanis and the Indigo Girls! Check for a new posting soon with my current list. I'm having a little trouble getting in the Christmas spirit so maybe the S. McLaughlin CD will do the trick. Reminds me of a funny song they played on the radio here that had me crying I was laughing so hard. I try and link that too. It's almost Friday!

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home