Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Global Warming?

Has anyone noticed how schizophrenic Mother Nature is lately? I’m really trying to get back into the training these last few weeks and have been doing pretty well. Last week I ran in almost 80 degree temps, with lots of humidity in shorts and a tank top. Three days later I ran with huge snowflakes blowing DIRECTLY INTO MY EYEBALLS for an hour. Less than 48 hours later I ran again in shorts and a t-shirt. I’m starting to think Al Gore may have a point.

Tomorrow, the girls and I are road-tripping to the Motherland. We are voluntarily leaving a place where it’s supposed to be 70 degrees and the club is organizing bike rides, and instead spending 8 hours in cramped and messy van to prolong our winter as long as humanly possible. Why? Because there’s important people to see up there and although the stubborn Winter is reluctant to give in to a tentative Spring, we will bask in the warmth of family and friends. And I am grateful.

The breakdown...475 miles + 8ish hours =

*Many potty stops and much eyerolling for mommy’s walnut sized bladder exacerbated by fountain diet coke
*4 movies on the DVD player (my children have been driven to various edges of the east coast and to the top of the continental divide without ever once looking out the windows)
*4 million crayons in the seat grooves in the bottom of the van (is it really so hard to put them back in the box!?)
*2 Happy Meals and two cans of Pringles (no matter how bad sour cream and onion chips reek) but NO chocolate (makes the little people very……um……disagreeable)
*Most of an audio book on my iPod when turning up the movie/opening the windows doesn’t drown out the inevitable whining (Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella……ironic, yes?)
*1000 times "what?!" because Kate starts everything that comes out of her mouth with "Mommy……" and waits for me to say ""what?"" NO MATTER WHAT I’M DOING and THE CHILD NEVER RUNS OUT OF THINGS TO SAY.
*100 times Kate will try to get the truck drivers to sound their horns when she pumps her fist in the air (I know. Just be glad she doesn’t realize how easy it is to get them to do that after puberty)

Time with family and friends?

PRICELESS!!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

Hope to finally get to meet ya! Have a SAFE and not-too-insane trip up!

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home