Wednesday, February 28, 2007

We are tied to the ocean. -John F. Kennedy


All of us have in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea -- whether it is to sail or to watch it -- we are going back from whence we came.

More naval gazing….

I’m still processing my long anticipated trip to Cabo San Lucas, Baja California, Mexico. It was a return trip for me to the exact resort I had the privilege of staying at 5 years ago. I was also beyond excited to be able to share 5 basically uninterrupted days with Paula, whom I admire so much for her honest heart and unwavering friendship. Spending this time was such a gift; an effortless balance.

There were so many highlights; a flight attendant started my trip with a confetti party (we were still picking shredded napkin out of my hair in customs), dinner on the beach, pool time, Chilean Chardonney, Estoban our most attentive server, coca-cola light, the mission, Cabo Wabo and a bald guitar player, Mr. Kelly who finally told an annoying drunk to f**k off (and all I could think of was his lovely wife trying to bail him out of a Mexican jail!!!), missing the 1:30am (!!!!) bus, excellent food, even better company especially Corky and Gail, Melissa and Trip, Kelly and Ann, Dan and Vicki and of course Kevin who treated us like royalty. (Well, we strutted around like we owned the place so…duh.)


Towards the end of the trip we were chatting and I noticed that we had slightly different intentions going into the trip…Paula’s was to be more outgoing and step slightly outside her comfort level and mine was to look a little inward and reign in my usual tendency to connect with new people in an effort to do some letting go and be open to how the next chapter in my life is going to unfold. We certainly met and enjoyed spending time with some amazing people but we also balanced it with lots of quiet time…a rare opportunity to be still. I wasn’t quite sure what would bubble up to the surface during those quiet times, being so removed from my daily responsibilities which are a pretty effective distraction.

I am happy to say that the water and ocean breezes worked their magic. The heat of the sun on my skin loosened my tightly held muscles that for so long have been bracing against anger and disappointment. The beauty of the ocean with all its sounds and smells and colors never fails to calm me and on that last morning after a quick ocean swim, I sat very still after climbing all the way out to the rocks that lead out into the sea. I let the sun and wind dry the salt water on my skin and the breezes slowly dried my hair in a tangle down my back. I sat and I breathed and listened the roar of the waves and the wind. And I waited, thousands of miles from people who know me, to feel that familiar uneasiness that’s been a fairly constant companion providing excuses to feel lonely or sad. Instead, I felt calm and my hesitant, overworked mind was blessedly open and quiet. Clarity.

I have some fabulous photos so watch for the photo essay soon!

5 Comments:

Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

All-around awesome!

Nuff said.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Bob Stewart said...

What or who are you auditioning for?

3:56 PM  
Blogger karmadog said...

I'm happy for you! I suggest you keep that peaceful, contented feeling accessible so you can tap into it later when you need it.

Welcome home.

5:16 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

awesome erin! great to hear you and p. had a monumental time. sounds like the perfect space for you two!! welcome back!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

What an inspiring experience! Thank you for sharing that.

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home