Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Delicious ambiguity.

I always wanted a happy ending... Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity.
Gilda Radner

Story of the Bad Ass Girl and the Flat Tire
by Bad Ass Girl with a 'tude

One sunny day there was a bad ass girl who had crammed too many things into her busy schedule. First she went to work. Then she tried out a new gym and used the treadmill because there was too much damn ice on the ground. 5 mile tempo run in the off-season left her feeling pretty bad-assed but had to watch the clock in order to get to the doctor's appointment she made over 3 months ago. Then she showered and walked out to the bad-ass minivan and is confronted with a flat tire! Gah! Bad-ass girl has a choice; admit defeat and helplessness and go back in the gym and ask the BOYS for help or change the damn tire herself. Guess what she did? Bad-ass girl changed the tire HERSELF. And got slightly LESS dirty than she does changing the tube on her bike tire. Bad-ass girl was only 15 minutes late for her appointment.
The end.

Now this might seem silly to some of you but a few months back I was lamenting about how I couldn't jump start my car, or understand my mortgage and similar grown up stuff. Well, I can now do most of what I need to do with the van(except sell it unfortunately), including refinancing it; and I am in the process of obtaining a new mortgage. That I do understand. Small victories you say? Victories, nonetheless.

Thanks to all who've given me suggestions about some rockin tunes. I am in the process of listening to ALL of them and have found some really good ones. I'll post my new list soon! I only do that stuff at home and lately I'm just wiped out, so it's a little at a time. Keep 'em coming if you think of something else.

I've not been feeling particularly inspired lately. Typical for me this time of year. Sure, the holidays are coming but I've got some challenges this year that have dampened my usual holiday cheer. Temporary. I have too many blessings to wallow for long. So, as is typical of this time of year, I begin to plan for the year ahead. Set some goals and review the direction my life is heading. Is it working for me? Is it compatable with the important people in my life? Have I been able to cross some things off my neverending list? Where did I fall short?

I got thinking about this after reading an article today titled, "This Life Goes to 11" and the five points that can help 2007 be your best year ever. Because "if not now, when?"

1. Get fit, eat right. (Definitely the most challenging for me)
2. Go Already. (I can incorporate some ambitious tri/running goals for this)
3. Simplify. (Purging unnecessary things should allow for more connections with people)
4. Give Back. (This is always on my list, I just haven't found a good way to make a difference. I
need to practice what I preach to my girls, "To those much is given, much is expected".
5. Just Chill. (Cabo, here I come! :) )

What will you do to rate 2007 an 11?!

8 Comments:

Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Damn impressive on that tire. If my tire is flat, I call my dad. If my dad isn't available, I'm calling you next.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey said...

If, in 2007, you're at your local Blockbuster and you see some sleazy looking horror film, the type you would never rent even at gunpoint, and my name happens to be on the cover, you know '07 is comin' up 11 for me, man!

1:45 AM  
Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

I can comment here.

And hey, my name's on that box too!

I fricken' hate Blockbuster though. Thankfully they're almost dead.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Two things:

1. You ARE a bad ass.

2. Cabo...here WE come.

7:20 PM  
Blogger bstrouf said...

"Bad-ass" post by a "bad-ass" girl...

Loved it!

11:13 AM  
Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

It looks like the commenting feature is fixed - everywhere. Cool!

8:19 AM  
Blogger karmadog said...

Erin, your ass isn't all that bad.

8:36 PM  
Blogger mimikatemom said...

Bring it on, piano boy.

Hee, see, I am a badass. Scary huh?

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home